April’s theme is:
Down Memory Lane
“What a gulf between the self which experiences and the self that describes experience.”-Edmund Wilson
It’s no secret that many writers draw inspiration for their writing from real life, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, when you’re searching for things to write about, taking a memory of your own and altering it is a reliable way to get out of a bout of writer’s block.
Memory is an important concept when writing fiction, as it helps connect the past to the present — so this month, let’s take a trip down memory lane.
SUGGESTIONS: (These are not guidelines!)
- Start your story with the narrator or a character saying “I remember…”
- Write about a character with an unreliable memory.
- End your story with total oblivion.
- Write a story that involves a flashback.
- Write a story inspired by a memory of yours.
WORD COUNT: 100-3,000
CLOSES: 11:59 PM, 31 April 2022
WINNERS ANNOUNCED: 15 May 2022
You are free to choose any genre, including poetry!
HOW TO ENTER:
- Read the contest description carefully.
- Draft your writing piece.
- Submit your piece through email (email@example.com) formatted as shown, preferably as a Google Doc. You have until the closing time to submit. We do not accept late entries.
- The MWC judges (President, VP, Activity Directors) will pick the winner, who will be announced on Instagram.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us through the same email or social media.